Monday, September 24, 2012

The Wedding Cake Confessions ♥


If you read my previous post, you may know I have been worrying about the wedding cake! In that post, I put that we were thinking of buying three plain tiers from Marks and Spencers, and decorating it ourselves. Ed and I went into M&S over the weekend, and took a little look at the cakes. They had them in stock priced at £56.00 for the Large base tier, £40.00 for the middle and £10.00 for the top, which was tiny. We looked at the birthday cakes, and a similar cake the size of the medium tier, decorated as a birthday cake with intricate flowers etc, was £15.00! It is an absolute rip off, plus I really don't want to be an average joe with three white tiers. What suits some, doesn't suit others and I'm all about bringing the quirk to the table.

So, we put our heads together while we were in the shop and came up with an idea that suits us down to the ground.
You know these little guys? They are the yummiest of the yummy in my opinion! Our table names will all be after Parisian monuments as that is where we got engaged. So what better than French Fancies? They also go along with the vintage theme as they are vintage picnic-esque if that makes sense. 

We are both fans of French fancies, so we thought how could we turn it into a wedding cake. Then I remembered they do these...
Giant French Fancies! A Perfect tier topper, and the cake that we can cut. These retail at £8.00 - an ever so slight difference to the £300.00 for a shop made cake, and from the £106.00 for the plain one from Marks & Spencers.

The plan is to purchase an acrylic square cake stand, ideally with 5 tiers. The giant cake on the top, and all the normal French Fancies on the four other tiers. This is the cake stand, and is £24.99 on Ebay with free P&P, I shall link it under the image. The trouble is, the top tier is 6 inches wide, and I have no idea of the size of the giant French Fancy, so I am going to pop to Sainsbury's with my ruler, and make myself look like a mad woman. The average cost of a pack of 6 Fancies is about £1.00, with a hundred guests that's about £16.00, so maybe a few more for good measure. Say £30.00 for the entire cake, job DONE!

To pretty it up a little I may stick some of the sugar flowers mentioned in the previous post on the giant cake, and a few of the little ones, just to make it look more wedding like, but that's only an extra couple of pounds. 


And there is the quirky, budget-savvy wedding cake, sorted.

Tilly xXx



No comments:

Post a Comment